Ananas alla sambuca (Pineapple Laced with Sambuca)

Here’s a really quick note on a combination that may surprise you but was simply meant to be: pineapple and the Italian anise liquor called sambuca. Sprinkle a few drops of sambuca over freshly sliced pineapple, just enough to exalt the flavor of the fruit without drawing attention to itself, and you’ll be in for a treat…incredibly intense pineapple flavor with a subtle retrogusto (aftertaste) that I bet most of your guests will not even be able to identify.

I’ll guarantee it’ll be some of the most delicious pineapple you’ve ever tasted!

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “Ananas alla sambuca (Pineapple Laced with Sambuca)”

1. 18 February 2012 at 17:04 #

The pineapples look so golden and refreshing :D
    Awesome post!
    And I love your blog – the pictures and recipes look so authentic :)
    I can feel like I am in Italy in my kitchen – thanks!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Choc Chunk Muffins + Suprise Choc Cookies

2. Goldi
    27 June 2011 at 18:25 #

Just found this site and think it's great. I read the Columbus Day post and it reminded me of my childhood. I am trying to keep up the Sunday tradition. It's working so far. My children are grown and come to Nonna's with the grandchildren for Sunday macaroni and all the fixings. Any way do you know how to spell the dialect word for the rolled pig skin that goes in the gravy? I thinks it's gudiga or cudica, my father thinks it's gudina or cudina.

3. 15 June 2011 at 09:50 #

Fresh pineapple is one of my favorite fruits. Im always open to the idea of making it even better. Sounds delish!

4. 23 May 2011 at 07:57 #

What an interesting idea! As a kid I loved to smell sambuca.

5. 22 May 2011 at 22:31 #

pineapple have proteolytic enzyme bromelain, which helps in the digestion of protein. I love this because it is a natural laxative.

free nutritional information for your recipe

6. 22 May 2011 at 09:34 #

Thanks so much, friends! Do try this combination, like I said, I guarantee you'll love it.

@The Mom Chef: The funny thing is, you hardly taste the anise. It 'melds' into the pineapple so perfectly that you are really just left with intense pineapple flavor… But then, you'll have a bottle of sambuca on your hands, lol!

@Drick: Sambuca does have a similar taste to Absinthe, only it is quite thick and sweet. A bit cloying on its own (though I've been known to drink it that way!) It's great in espresso (instead of sugar) or, as here, on top of fruit.

7. 21 May 2011 at 17:39 #

I MUST try this. I love putting things out like this and surprising everyone by revealing the delicious little secret that no one really ever thinks of. Thanks so much.

8. 20 May 2011 at 07:41 #

You're amazing.

I can't wait to try it!

9. 19 May 2011 at 18:30 #

I never would have thought of that and of course will try – my “intrigued” button has been switched on!

10. 18 May 2011 at 20:48 #

I'm so in….this would most definitely hit the spot right NOW!

11. 18 May 2011 at 13:13 #

This looks lovely Frank, I can almost smell and taste it from here!

12. 18 May 2011 at 12:07 #

Ooh Frank this is a fabulous pair! We will definitely be enjoying this combination this summer!
    LL

13. 18 May 2011 at 10:58 #

have never had sambuca but if it is like the old absinthe, this is one crazy treat…. what a delightful combination Frank…

14. 18 May 2011 at 09:42 #

I would be all over this except that I don't like licorice at all. I can see where the two would accent each other perfectly though.